A landscape painter, born in Camberwell on 9 April 1832, Aumonier attended evening classes first at the Birkbeck Institution, then at South Kensington. He exhibited at the Royal Academy and became associate of the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours in 1876, and was one of the original members of the Institute of Oil Painters. In 1889 he was awarded a gold medal for watercolour in Paris, and a bronze medal for oil painting at Adelaide. He also received a silver medal at the Brussels exhibition in 1897. The present painting if a fine large watercolour measuring 27"x 42". It is signed lower left, dated 1885 and is nicely presented in the original gilt frame giving an overall size of 34"x 49"